Thursday, May 14, 2015

Being Sloane Jacobs by Lauren Morrill

Being Sloane Jacobs by Lauren Morrill
Source: Library
Pages: 327
Publisher: Delacorte
Release Date: January 7th 2014
Series: Standalone
Verdict: Buy

SummaryMeet Sloane Emily Jacobs: a seriously stressed-out figure-skater from Washington, D.C., who choked during junior nationals and isn’t sure she’s ready for a comeback. What she does know is that she’d give anything to escape the mass of misery that is her life.

Now meet Sloane Devon Jacobs, a spunky ice hockey player from Philly who’s been suspended from her team for too many aggressive hip checks. Her punishment? Hockey camp, now, when she’s playing the worst she’s ever played. If she messes up? Her life will be over.

When the two Sloanes meet by chance in Montreal and decide to trade places for the summer, each girl thinks she’s the lucky one: no strangers to judge or laugh at Sloane Emily, no scouts expecting Sloane Devon to be a hero. But it didn’t occur to Sloane E. that while avoiding sequins and axels she might meet a hockey hottie—and Sloane D. never expected to run into a familiar (and very good-looking) face from home. It’s not long before the Sloanes discover that convincing people you’re someone else might be more difficult than being yourself.
 

Review: I know that I say this a lot, but it's true. I don't know why I've only just picked up this book to read. I had heard so many good things that this title made its way onto my TBR list, but somehow I'm only just reading this now. Ugh. 

Being Sloane Jacobs is an unconventional book of sorts. But it's totally and completely awesome, and I hate that I waited so long to meet the Sloanes. They're talented, funny, beautiful, and disciplined. Their lives at home have been tough, but they find a way... albeit a bizarre one.


I've always loved The Parent Trap (what a classic) because of its lightheartedness, camaraderie, hilarity, and everything in between. Being Sloane Jacobs has this Parent Trap thing going on, only they aren't actually related, instead, having the same names, and they're older and getting away from problems as opposed to trying to get their parents back together. Basically, this book is the Parent Trap of the young adult literary world, and right now, I'm having trouble figuring out which I like better. They're just so good.


At the beginning, the Sloanes undermine each others' sports. Each thinking their own sport is harder, the Sloanes are surprised by the difficulties faced in the opposite sport. Sharing the common skill of being able to navigate the ice, the Sloanes figure out how to adapt and soon, they're right in the midst of all the action, action that they never thought they would experience.


The alternating POVs were awesome. I loved seeing how the story moved continuously, transitioning from one Sloane to the other. The one thing was that I sometimes got confused as to which Sloane was talking at the moment, but that issue was always resolved after another sentence. Seeing how each Sloane was handling the situation was great. It was amazing to see the Sloanes bond and understand each other and most importantly, themselves. 


And oh, the ending. It was so funny and unexpected and ugh. I won't spoil it, but wow, I've got to say that life as a Sloane Jacobs sure seems cool. 


I'll definitely be reading this again sometime. It's lighthearted and fun and just amazing. The Parent Trap just gained some competition, and I just gained a fabulous read.

Really enjoyed

No comments:

Post a Comment