Monday, April 27, 2015

99 Days by Katie Cotugno

99 Days by Katie Cotugno
Source: Library
Pages: 384
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Release Date: April 21st 2015
Series: Standalone
Verdict: Buy

SummaryDay 1: Julia Donnelly eggs my house my first night back in Star Lake, and that’s how I know everyone still remembers everything—how I destroyed my relationship with Patrick the night everything happened with his brother, Gabe. How I wrecked their whole family. Now I’m serving out my summer like a jail sentence: Just ninety-nine days till I can leave for college, and be done.

Day 4: A nasty note on my windshield makes it clear Julia isn’t finished. I’m expecting a fight when someone taps me on the shoulder, but it’s just Gabe, home from college and actually happy to see me. “For what it’s worth, Molly Barlow,” he says, “I’m really glad you’re back.”

Day 12: Gabe got me to come to this party, and I’m actually having fun. I think he’s about to kiss me—and that’s when I see Patrick. My Patrick, who’s supposed to be clear across the country. My Patrick, who’s never going to forgive me.

Review: I've been looking forward to reading this since I first saw it during a Goodreads book browsing binge (where I click, add to list, click, add to list, click...), which seems like forever ago. This was when I didn't look at the release date, because I was so caught up in the excitement of finding a seemingly interesting book. This was when I then went online to see if my library had it, only to see that I had to put a hold on it because it was being ordered. Because it hadn't been released yet. Obviously I went into denial. It was obviously a mistake... right? Oh, but it wasn't. I checked over the release date on Goodreads, the one that I had skimmed past, and saw the date: April 21st 2015. I (basically) cried. You have to know that I saw this on a book browsing binge back in January. That's a really long time. 

But no worries, because on April 22nd, I got the holy grail of emails. It was from my library and it simply said, "Your book is ready to be picked up." Cue the (mental) screams and (internal) dance party. I raced (just kidding... I drove at the speed limit because, you know, I've got to follow the law) to the library and saw the angels.. err, book, and checked it out. Like, literally. I stared at it for awhile because it was just so pretty. It was brand new, like, brand new, brand new. I was the first person in my library's system to check this book out (SCORE!), and boy, was I checking it out. Then I realized I was standing there like an idiot, so I checked it out for real, went home, and plopped down and started reading. 

And I didn't stop until it was done, and wow, what a whirlwind of a story. The main conflict of this book is cheating, which is something that I'm not exactly a fan of, but I found that I really liked this story. It was funny, interesting, and cute. And I liked it... a lot.

Molly goes through a lot in 99 Days. I won't say that I agree with all that she does, because, quite frankly, I don't. However, I could see and understand her struggles. Having your personal problems get displayed to the world through a best-selling novel that's written by your mother is something else. And becoming a social outcast because of it? That's just the worst. Everybody makes mistakes, and Molly is no different, but still, not being able to work out everything in private is a terrifying prospect. But having it ready and available for the whole world? That's on a whole different scale, and it was something that Molly had to face. 

Honestly, I don't think there's much I can truly say about this book without spoiling anything. Besides, no words can give this book the justice it deserves, except for the book itself. Let me tell you though, the dynamics were great. All the characters had a place, and they were pretty awesome, even though they all made some pretty questionable decisions. There is a love triangle, so if you're a fan of that, I say go for this book. And, well, if you're not? I still say go for it.

99 Days is written beautifully, and everything I felt during my long period of anticipation (which funnily enough, I just realized was roughly 99 days...) was well worth it. I'm so glad that I finally got to read this. I got to dive into a world that touches base with some pretty sensitive topics and through it, I saw a girl grow and mature into someone whole and true. The ending was bittersweet, necessary, and full of possibilities. And that was truly the perfect way to end it. Molly Barlow, it sure was nice to meet you. Here's to another 99 days.

Really enjoyed

No comments:

Post a Comment