Thursday, April 30, 2015

One Lonely Degree by C.K. Kelly Martin

One Lonely Degree by C.K. Kelly Martin
Source: Library
Pages: 256
Publisher: Random House Books
Release Date: May 26th 2009
Series: Standalone
Verdict: Pass

SummaryFinn has always felt out of place, but suddenly her world is unraveling. It started with The Party. And Adam Porter. And the night in September that changed everything. The only person who knows about that night is Audrey—Finn’s best friend, her witness to everything, and the one person Finn trusts implicitly. So when Finn’s childhood friend Jersy moves back to town—reckless, beautiful Jersy, all lips and eyes and hair so soft you’d want to dip your fingers into it if you weren’t careful—Finn gives her blessing for Audrey to date him. How could she possibly say no to Audrey? With Audrey gone for the summer, though, Finn finds herself spending more and more time with Jersy, and for the first time in her life, something feels right. But Finn can’t be the girl who does this to her best friend...can she? 

Review: This book was hot and cold. There were moments where it was just so spot on. But then there were the other times where everything drew a blank. I truly think that this is a hit or miss kind of book. For me, this was a miss unfortunately.

First of all, the characters. I couldn't relate or connect in any way whatsoever. I felt for them, that's for sure, but I don't think they were developed thoroughly enough. I got glimpses of each of them, but I never really saw the whole of them, not even Finn, who I actually got to learn about more, since this book is about her life and told from her point of view. There were some random people thrown in, similar to what I'd compare to extras in a movie. They didn't have a specific role or purpose, yet they rolled on by and subsequently left unnoticed. Character development is always important, and I just don't think there was enough going on with them to be able to connect with them and thus the story.

I think that the base of this plot was a good one. But it was all predictable. I always had a guess as to what happened, what was happening, and what was about to happen, and each time, I was correct. I had speculations as to what happened with Finn and Adam Porter and The Party, and my speculations were confirmed. I had a feeling about what would happen with Finn and Jersy and Audrey as well, and that happened.

Then there were some loose ends. I never really truly understood what happened between Finn's mom and dad. It was all unclear to me, and it was a messy conflict. I was going back and forth between the whole family as they went through it all, but I honestly couldn't follow. It just wasn't too organized and when the book reached its last page, the family issues hit a dead end, leading nowhere even though there were different possible outcomes. Plus, the whole thing with Finn and Audrey and Jersy was so complicated and odd. It's like they were the best of friends (and more) while also being the worst of friends (and more). It was all too dramatic and jumbled up and a bit abrupt. 

I really wanted to like One Lonely Degree, but nothing seemed to click. While it would definitely appeal to some (like I said, definitely hit or miss), I'd say that it'd be more worth it to read something else. Even though there were some defining moments, overall, this wasn't a cohesive book. There are better books out there that would be more enjoyable to read.

Could've been better

No comments:

Post a Comment