Monday, March 23, 2015

Catch a Falling Star by Kim Culbertson

Catch a Falling Star by Kim Culbertson
Source: Library
Pages: 304
Publisher: Point
Release Date: April 29th 2014
Series: Standalone
Verdict: Borrow

SummaryNothing ever happens in Little, CA. Which is just the way Carter Moon likes it. But when Hollywood arrives to film a movie starring former child star turned PR mess Adam Jakes, everything changes. Carter's town becomes a giant glittery set and, much to her annoyance, everyone is starry-eyed for Adam. Carter seems to be the only girl not falling all over herself to get a glimpse of him. Which apparently makes her perfect for the secret offer of a lifetime: playing the role of Adam's girlfriend while he's in town, to improve his public image, in exchange for a hefty paycheck. Her family really needs the money and so Carters agrees. But it turns out Adam isn't at all who she thought he was. As they grow closer, their relationship walks a blurry line between what's real and what's fake, and Carter must open her eyes to the scariest of unexplored worlds - her future. Can Carter figure out what she wants out of life and get the guy? Or are there no Hollywood endings in real life?

Review: Reading stories about small towns and people from small towns interests me because I am from a not so small city. It makes me wonder how things would be different if I were a small town girl instead of a big city girl. I've found that books with this sort of subject matter usually tend to be really cutesy. This isn't a bad thing because honestly, who doesn't love a cute book every now and then? Or in some cases, every now and every then. However, the content of this book wasn't just cute and light and fun. It was all of that and more. Delving into deeper matters and twisting all the odd ends together created an impeccable journey. It was a journey that I'm glad I was able to take, and in my pondering state, I not only mulled over the what ifs regarding a small town, I also discovered life lessons hidden in between the linings.

Of course, like anything with similar plot lines, many components are exaggerated and filled with moments that, one would assume, could really only occur in books or movies. I don't mind though, as long as it's a well-written story. So I guess it's a good thing that not only is this a book where the movie industry plays a huge role, but also one that is beautifully crafted.

I really fell in love with all the characters, even when they were grouchy and even when they were jerks. Their compassion, drive, and sincerity oozed out of the pages and into my very soul. I truly felt like I was apart of this momentous time of the characters' lives, and because of that, I was able to find deeper meanings in the words that built the story, whether the author intended for them to be significant or not. And there's just something about small town folks that I can't help but love. Even when they go crazy over stars, loved ones, gossip, pride, and everything in between, I am pulled to them, and the people in this book were no different.

Catch a Falling Star had its faults, but there were really very few. Perhaps I'm being picky. Perhaps my own opinions overrode the opinions of the voice of the book. Perhaps it was nothing at all. But while reading, I found myself getting a bit annoyed at Carter's decisions. Selflessness is good, but there is a time and place for everything, and sometimes the time and place doesn't call for selflessness, but for the good type of selfishness, the type that allows you to follow your dreams and aspirations. Overall, I truly enjoyed reading the story of how a small town girl's life is completely altered by dreamy stars, in more ways than one.

Wonderfully written and beautifully voiced, Catch a Falling Star is a book that I can definitely see myself reading again sometime in the future. This was a really enjoyable read, and upon completion, I can truly say that nothing is ever what it seems to be. 

Really enjoyed

No comments:

Post a Comment