Thursday, March 26, 2015

Elevated by Elana Johnson

Elevated by Elana Johnson
Source: ebook
Pages: 300
Publisher: AEJ Creative Works
Release Date: February 14th 2014
Series: Standalone
Verdict: Pass

SummaryThe last person seventeen-year-old Eleanor Livingston wants to see on the elevator—let alone get stuck with—is her ex-boyfriend Travis, the guy she's been avoiding for five months.

Plagued with the belief that when she speaks the truth, bad things happen, Elly hasn’t told Trav anything. Not why she broke up with him and cut off all contact. Not what happened the day her father returned from his deployment to Afghanistan. And certainly not that she misses him and still thinks about him everyday.

But with nowhere to hide and Travis so close it hurts, Elly’s worried she won’t be able to contain her secrets for long. She’s terrified of finally revealing the truth, because she can’t bear to watch a tragedy befall the boy she still loves.

Review: The concept of a book written in verse is what drew me into this book. I recently discovered that I actually like poetry, both reading and writing, because there's just something so cool about how the words flow together and paint a picture. But I'd never read an entire book that was written in poetry form. So I thought I'd give it a shot with Elevated.

The plot was created in a very unique manner, flashing back and forth from the present to the future in the form of Elly's thoughts and both her and Travis' real life communication. And all this takes place inside an elevator. 

The book dealt with some heavy topics about how tragic events, unideal decisions, and bad timing can create traumatic outlooks on life and people for an indefinite amount of time. To me though, I felt that there was just too much going on. There were so many huge topics being thrown around at once, and it became a tangled web of drama. Plus, there was the addition of another potential love interest, that I found to be a sort of random addition. (I must admit that I did like Jesse way more than Travis though.)

From the start, I wasn't a very big fan of the story line. I did, however, enjoy the smooth flow of the writing. I find that reading poetry has a certain rhythm to it, and this book was no different. This was a quick read, and I read it one sitting. I think that if I had put it down, I wouldn't have felt particularly compelled to pick it up again. That being said, because of its poetic nature, I couldn't help but want to know how it ended. In its poetic state, there's no room for chapter endings or dull moments. Every word and every line told something important about the characters and story, and because of that, every ending of a line was basically a cliffhanger. So, that meant, on to the end! 

While I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book because of its poetry base, the actual content just didn't do it for me. Still, I've discovered that I quite like books written in poetry format. The thing is, I just don't like it as much as I like the normal formatted books. I can't see myself giving Elevated another go, but I can definitely see myself delving into the whole books-in-verse side of reading.

Eh, it was alright

No comments:

Post a Comment